Let's browse, shall we?

Monday, May 20, 2013

Dolicocéfala Rubia by Pitigrilli



An interesting read. Not exactly what I expected, but then I'm not quite sure what it was I expected. The author has a cynical manner of narrating the events. Somewhat similar to Ayn Rand, in that sense. Events unfold and cause and consequence are exposed, but there is a dryness to the way in which we witness everything. I'm not sure I would read anymore of his books, but I don't regret having read this one.

The story revolves around the main character, Teodore Zweifel, and the family, associates and friends within his immediate circle. He is a petulant, self-absorbed non-conformist who is loathe to suffer fools - and we are all fools - but who finds himself under constant legal challenges (though they should by all means be of a civil nature, they appear to be criminal proceedings) to his trade, which is essentially the practice of alternative medicine. The novel covers ten years of his life, from forty through fifty years of age. The conclusion is puzzling and the ending unsatisfying, though I'm frankly at a loss imagining how it might have been done better.


Read from February 03 to 17, 2013


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment